? ??????????????????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blo
gger account and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chemo Treatment #1

My mom had her first chemo treatment on Monday morning. She was scheduled to begin infusing at 8:45am. She was triaged at 9am began the treatment shortly after that. I was not able to stay back there with her as there were other patients getting meds and it was close quarters. I stayed out in the waiting room, and by waiting room I mean 4 chairs against a wall out in the hallway outside the Infusion center. Super tiny. Super thin foam cushions.
I was able to go back and check on her throughout the day. Every time that I went back there, I was so pleased to see that she was holding her own against those drugs. She was even chatting and cutting up with the other ladies that were in the room with her.
Her nurse, Marjorie, was AMAZING. I don't think that I have ever known anyone that could get an IV started on my mom the very first try AND have her not even realize that it was in. She didn't feel a thing!
There are 4 nurses that work in the Infusion center, we have met 2 of them so far. I've been very impressed with the bedside manner and the level of care and compassion that is shown to anyone that walks through those doors. I was even shown the same level of compassion on Friday when we went in for the chemo class. I guess they are aware that being the caretaker for someone with cancer is a very difficult job title. It is stressful and worrisome, but yet you have to hold it together and be strong for others around you. The charge nurse, Joyce, took me into her arms and gave the biggest tightest hug on Friday and told me that I ever needed anything for me to not hesitate to call the center. There is always someone there for us, both as patients and as caretakers.


Back to Monday and the infusion...she was there for 7.5 hours getting her meds. It was a very long day and we were both exhausted by the time it was over.

I took her home with me and she has been here since.


Yesterday, she had to go back to the Infusion center to get a shot of medication that is meant to boost her blood counts during this crucial 48-72 hours after chemo, when they are at their lowest. The medication is potent and causes bone pain.
It is now 11:20 on Wednesday morning and she is just now starting to feel the nausea and weakness. She was sent home with 2 prescriptions for nausea meds, one that she takes twice a day for 3 days and the other only as needed. I made her take the as needed one just a little while ago and told her to go lay down and rest. She was wobbling through the house like she was drunk and slurring her words some.
I have to make sure that she keeps drinking water so that her kidneys continue to filter the drugs through her system. Dehydration is a very bad thing when on chemo.
She had been eating like I haven't seen her eat in a while, up until this morning. She has yet to eat anything, though I keep pushing her because despite feeling sick, she will feel better with something on her stomach. If we stay on top of the nausea, it will be easier to treat and prevent than if we let her get to the point that she is truly sick.

0 comments: